Using automatic tools that highlight the violations of the previous principles may help you to internalize all the measures, even more with the new ones.
Configure your editor to:
- Run a spell checker that you can check as you write.
- Alert you on new orthography rules you want to adopt.
- Use linters to raise your awareness on the rest of issues.
- Use formatters to make your writing experience more pleasant.
- mdformat: I haven't tested it yet, but looks promising.
There are some checks that I wasn't able to adopt:
- Try to use less than 30 words per sentence.
- Check that every sentence is ended with a dot.
- Be consistent across document structures, use References instead of Links, or Installation instead of Install.
- gwern markdown-lint.sh script file.
- Avoid the use of here, use descriptive link text.
- Rotten links: use linkchecker (I think there was a mkdocs plugin to do this). Also read how to archive urls.
- check for use of the word "significant"/"significance" and insert "[statistically]" as appropriate (to disambiguate between effect sizes and statistical significance; this common confusion is one reason for "statistical-significance considered harmful")
- vim-pencil looks promising but it's still not ready
- mdnav opens links to urls or files when pressing
enterin normal mode over a markdown link, similar to
gxbut more powerful. I specially like the ability of following
[self referencing link]links, that allows storing the links at the bottom.
- Start with a template.
- Use synoptical reading to gather ideas in an unconnected thoughts section.
- Once you've got several refactor them in sections with markdown headers.
- Ideally you'll want to wrap your whole blog post into a story or timeline.
- Add an abstract so the reader may decide if she wants to read it.
- Think how to publicize:
- Hacker News
- LessWrong (and further sites as appropriate)
- Investigate on readability tests:
- Introduction on Readability
- List of readability tests and formulas
- An example of a formula
Last update: 2022-03-26