2nd August 2022
Keeping software updated is not easy because:
- There are many technologies involved: package managers (apt, yum, pip, yarn, npm, ...), programming languages (python, java, ruby, ...), operative systems (Debian, Ubuntu, ...), deployment technologies (OS install, Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Helm), template software (cruft).
- Each software maintainers use a different version system.
- Even a small increase in a version may break everything.
- Sometimes only the latest version is the supported version.
- It's not easy to check if the update went well.
- You not only need the desired package to be updated, but also it's dependencies.
I'd like to find a solution that:
- Gives an overall insight of the update status of a system.
- Automates the update process.
- Support both single system installation or aggregator of multiple systems.
Last update: 2022-08-03